The Very Dog-Friendly, Robert G. Wehle State Park

Mr.Jackson

Mr. Jackson at the Robert G. Wehle State Park in Henderson, New York.

On an uncharacteristically warm Sunday in March, we decided to take a trip to a local State Park to let our dog, Mr. Jackson, stretch out his legs. What we found was not only a very beautiful and unique place to hike, bike and camp, but also the “dog-friendliest” park we had ever visited. Mr. Jackson began foaming at the mouth with excitement as he ran, sniffed, peed and frolicked on the thawing shores of Lake Ontario. The park’s namesake was an avid dog lover, breeder and artist who dedicated his life to sculpture, conservation and English Pointers. Boasting over 14 miles of trails on over 1,000 acres of land, the Robert G. Wehle State Park is the perfect place to spend a sunny day or rent a cabin for a week long vacation.For more information on the park, visit their website: http://nysparks.com/parks/137/details.aspx

Jack&Scott

Scott shows Mr. Jackson dog sculptures in the visitor center at the Robert G. Wehle State Park

Visitor Center

Visitor Center

Dog Sculptures

Dog Sculptures by Robert G. Wehle

Scary Shack

Moderately creepy shack.

JackBridge

Scampering across a bridge in the distance.

Frozen Cliff Face

Frozen Cliff Face at Robert G. Wehle State Park in Henderson, New York.

Ice Macro

Ice

Frozen Ground

Frozen Ground next to cascading runoff.

Trails

Trails at the very dog friendly Robert G. Wehle State Park.

Frozen Snakefoot Trail

A very frozen Snakefoot Trail, begins to thaw out as temperatures reach into the low 50s in early March.

RentalCabin

Rental Cabin

Seuss Tree

This ice coated tree looks like it has been "Seussed"

Seuss Tree II

Seuss Tree II

Seuss Tree III

Seuss Tree III

ThawingTree

As the afternoon wears on, the ice begins to thaw.

Trunk

Icy trunk.

Frozen Shrubs

Frozen shrubs overlooking Lake Ontario

Frozen Sticks

Frozen sticks on Snakefoot trail in March at Robert G. Wehle State Park.

Icy

Icy cliff faces drop down to the cold blue waters of Lake Ontario.

Icy D

More natural ice sculptures on the shores of Lake Ontario, however this time they are at least 50 feet above the shore. Imagine the wind and waves that it took to create that...

Spotter Box

A spotter box on the shore of Lake Ontario.

Spring

Signs of life.

Tranquility

Tranquility

TranquilityII

Lake Ontario has become increasingly more clear in the last 10 years.

10 thoughts on “The Very Dog-Friendly, Robert G. Wehle State Park

1. Donna Parisi

WOW Andrea, dad and I have been all over upstate and I’m not sure where this park is. Beautiful pictures!! They make the area look enchanting!!

2. aparisi13

Thanks, Mom! We will have to go and have lunch there sometime. I think you guys would love to see the cabins and learn the history behind the park. Last summer, Scott and I saw the spotter boxes from out on the boat and we wondered what they were…we were pleasantly surprised to find them from the shore yesterday!

3. suekenney

I’ve just been cruising through several of your posts, and I am enchanted with your photography and your choices of subjects. I am also unfamiliar with this park in Henderson, but I hope my husband and I can check it out this spring or summer (or maybe fall – he’s ridiculously busy spring and summer). I especially love your “Seussed” trees. So glad I found your blog.

4. gealach

Reblogged this on Gealachs Blogg and commented:
    OK, jag vet att jag “rebloggar” alldeles för mycket när jag borde skriva själv, men den här bloggen bara måste ni gå in på! Inte bara det inlägg jag länkar till här, titta vidare på resten också! Helt underbara bilder!

5. tita buds

That picture of Mr. Jackson looking like he’s REALLY interested in what Scott is saying cracks me up! What a smart looking dog.

Those cabins look so cozy and the area along the shoreline is beautiful. :)

1. aparisi13

Scottie is a VERY engaging speaker! That photo cracked me up! We are so lucky that we get to have such a sweet, smart and funny dog in our lives every single day. He has made the quality of our lives exponentially better. There are certainly days where he annoys the bejesus out of me, (like when he gets nervous in the middle of the night and decides the safest place to sleep in the house is right on my head) but over all he is just so full of love that it melts my icy heart every time I see his goony little face.

6. Xan

I really enjoyed your blog. We also have a Wehle Center http://unionspringsalabama.com/Wehle-Nature-Center.html in Alabama! Mr. Wehle loved birddogs, as you noted, and Union Springs, AL is the “birdog field trial capital of the world. Mr. Wehle sculpted a dog and he is on a monument in the center of the small town: http://unionspringsalabama.com/BirdDogMonument.html

When Mr. Wehle died, he left several acres to the state as a conservation center.

Thanks again!

1. aparisi13

WOW! I had no idea! Thank you so much for commenting and I cannot wait to check out your links. Maybe someday I can visit Alabama and I will write part 2 of this post!