Parks jackson

Published on March 11th, 2012 | by I Love Upstate New York

The Very Dog-Friendly, Robert G. Wehle State Park

On an uncharacteristically warm Sunday in March, we decided to take a trip to a local State Park to let our dog, Mr. Jackson, stretch out his legs. What we found was not only a very beautiful and unique place to hike, bike and camp, but also the “dog-friendliest” park we had ever visited. Mr. Jackson began foaming at the mouth with excitement as he ran, sniffed, peed and frolicked on the thawing shores of Lake Ontario. The park’s namesake was an avid dog lover, breeder and artist who dedicated his life to sculpture, conservation and English Pointers. Boasting over 14 miles of trails on over 1,000 acres of land, the Robert G. Wehle State Park is the perfect place to spend a sunny day or rent a cabin for a week long vacation.For more information on the park, visit their website:

Visitor CenterDog SculpturesScary ShackJackBridgeFrozen Cliff FaceIce MacroFrozen GroundTrailsFrozen Snakefoot TrailRentalCabinSeuss TreeSeuss Tree IISeuss Tree IIIThawingTreeTrunkFrozen ShrubsFrozen SticksIcyIcy DSpotter BoxSpringTranquilityTranquilityII

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

10 Responses to The Very Dog-Friendly, Robert G. Wehle State Park

1. Donna Parisi says:

WOW Andrea, dad and I have been all over upstate and I’m not sure where this park is. Beautiful pictures!! They make the area look enchanting!!

2. aparisi13 says:

Thanks, Mom! We will have to go and have lunch there sometime. I think you guys would love to see the cabins and learn the history behind the park. Last summer, Scott and I saw the spotter boxes from out on the boat and we wondered what they were…we were pleasantly surprised to find them from the shore yesterday!

3. suekenney says:

I’ve just been cruising through several of your posts, and I am enchanted with your photography and your choices of subjects. I am also unfamiliar with this park in Henderson, but I hope my husband and I can check it out this spring or summer (or maybe fall – he’s ridiculously busy spring and summer). I especially love your “Seussed” trees. So glad I found your blog.

4. gealach says:

Reblogged this on Gealachs Blogg and commented:
    OK, jag vet att jag “rebloggar” alldeles för mycket när jag borde skriva själv, men den här bloggen bara måste ni gå in på! Inte bara det inlägg jag länkar till här, titta vidare på resten också! Helt underbara bilder!

5. tita buds says:

That picture of Mr. Jackson looking like he’s REALLY interested in what Scott is saying cracks me up! What a smart looking dog.

Those cabins look so cozy and the area along the shoreline is beautiful. :)

• aparisi13 says:

Scottie is a VERY engaging speaker! That photo cracked me up! We are so lucky that we get to have such a sweet, smart and funny dog in our lives every single day. He has made the quality of our lives exponentially better. There are certainly days where he annoys the bejesus out of me, (like when he gets nervous in the middle of the night and decides the safest place to sleep in the house is right on my head) but over all he is just so full of love that it melts my icy heart every time I see his goony little face.

6. Xan says:

I really enjoyed your blog. We also have a Wehle Center in Alabama! Mr. Wehle loved birddogs, as you noted, and Union Springs, AL is the “birdog field trial capital of the world. Mr. Wehle sculpted a dog and he is on a monument in the center of the small town:

When Mr. Wehle died, he left several acres to the state as a conservation center.

Thanks again!